Adventure in the Big Apple
Arriving at Newark Airport and taking the train to Penn Station, I walked into an underground station of people, stores, and signs. Sorting out which direction to go took a little figuring, but in the end, I found the subway, bought a pass and shoved my bags through the turnstile along with myself.
No amount of TV or movies can prepare a person for that first glimpse of Times Square. It’s like Vegas on Steroids. Walking down W 42nd with my bags, stars in my eyes and mouth open must have been a sight. Luckily, everyone else down there was a tourist, so I fit right in.
I met Vanessa in our Hotel, The Times Square Westin, 720 W 43rd, and we made our plan.
Subway to 14th, Jackson Square. A few blocks to 8th Ave, W 4th and Jane to the Corner Bistro. A cash only, wait in line through the restaurant. After pigging out on Bacon Burgers and Fries served on little paper trays, we went back to Times Square to the W hotel. The Blue Fin is a great little posh place where we had a drink. I had something called Summer Splash…I think that’s the name.
Day 2: (ok, since I am a little behind. we are resorting to the bullet point method here)
- Grand Central Station
- Rockerfeller Center
- 5th Ave shopping: H&M, Zara
- Virgil’s BBQ: met some coworkers for BBQ Nachos, Brisket & Chicken and a Chocolate Cake
- Guggenheim Museum
- Central Park: Belvedere Castle
- Chelsea: Bravo Pizza
- Union Square: I found the coolest Barnes ever!
- Flatiron Building
- Nolita: Stanton Public to watch the 24 Premiere with V and Dave Rogers. Our own little private room downstairs with food and drinks. A swell evening NYC style
- 5th Ave: MAC. Got my eyes done.
- SOHO: Le Petit Cafe (eggplant salad and a cappuccino), Marie Belle Chocolates, Ana Sui
- East Village: Veneiro’s (Probably the best Italian pastry shop in NYC, IMHO. –well considering its my first time, that probably doesn’t mean much, but a native suggested it to me and it was well worth the trek
- Greenwich Village: St. Mark’s church with a creepy “jesus” character in a shift dancing outside to a boombox. Yes. I have pictures….